Listen on YouTube
Habits, systems, and reminders are crucial, but it is possible to go too far and end up hoarding them. Every now and then, it's worth questioning which are really essential, and which no longer serve a purpose; what can be removed, simplified, automated, or delegated.
Heuristics to use when simplifying:
- Is this (still) important? Do I care about the goal it's serving?
- Is it still relevant? Can I do just fine without it?
- Is it realistic I'll ever get this done?
- If I'll ever need this again, will I just remember it? (Do I need to store it?)
- Do I already have it somewhere else? Don't duplicate things.
- It is the right place for this? (events in calendar, tasks in Nozbe, etc...)
- Is it the right time for this? (maybe different time of day or day of week would work better?)
- Can I do it less often?
- Can I batch it with similar tasks?
- Can I automate this?
- Can I delegate it to someone else?
- Do I actually follow this reminder? (If not, why pretend?)
- Does this piece of data actually influence my behavior or decisions? (If not, why track it?)