We're back from our winter break, and this week we're discussing the book Peak.
We want to understand, on a deeper level, how people become good at what they do, and what's the best approach to learning. Peak offers important clues towards the answer. In fact, this book inspired both of us enough that we're incorporating its ideas into our plans for 2017.
- Forget about talent. Skills develop through practice.
- … a lot of practice (thousands of hours for expertise in most fields)
- Focus on one small sub-skill at a time, not all of it
- Create a tight feedback loop and iterate on those sub-skills
- Stay just beyond your current limit of ability
- Build mental models!